Chef Will Hall
Vegan Carrot Cake
- 1 medium ripe banana, frozen, then thawed
- ⅔ cup sugar
- ⅓ cup vegetable oil
- 1½ cups grated carrots (2 medium carrots)
- 1½ cups flour
- 1 Tbs. baking powder
- ½ tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp. ground nutmeg
- ½ cup raisins
- ½ cup chopped walnuts
- 1½ cups confectioners’ sugar
- 1 Tbs. vegan margarine
- ½ tsp. vanilla extract
1. To make Cake: Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat 9-inch cake pan with cooking spray. Mash thawed banana in large bowl. Whisk in sugar, oil, and carrots. Whisk together flour, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg in separate bowl. Stir flour mixture into banana mixture, until no lumps remain. Fold in raisins and walnuts.
2. Pour cake batter into prepared baking pan. Bake 25 to 30 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes in pan. Transfer to wire rack, and cool completely.
3. To make Icing: Whisk together confectioners’ sugar, margarine, vanilla, and 2 Tbs. water in bowl, adding more water, if necessary, to achieve drizzling consistency. Drizzle Icing over Cake when cooled.
Gluten Free Carrot Orange Smoothie
- A touch of allspice adds exotic flavor to this sunny blend of carrot juice and orange. Ground flaxseed adds EFAs.
1 ½ cups carrot juice1 orange, peeled and quartered 2 Tbs. ground flaxseed1 Tbs. raw honey or agave nectar½ tsp. ground allspice
Place all ingredients in blender in order listed, along with 4 ice cubes. Blend 45 seconds, or until smooth.
- References: Carrot image. (2012). Retrieved from blog.bountifulbaskets.org/2012/12/03/rainbow-carrots-a-royal-treat/
Gluten free carrot and orange smoothie. (2013, 03). Retrieved from http://www.vegetariantimes.com/recipe/carrot-orange-smoothie/
Gussin, R. (2013, 10 13). The nutritional benefits of carrots. Retrieved from http://www.livestrong.com/carrots
(2010, 12 09). Retrieved from http://www.healthonlinezine.info/7-health-benefits-of-carrots-nutritional-value-of-carrot.html Vegan carrot cake. (2009, 02). Retrieved from http://www.vegetariantimes.com/recipe/vegan-carrot-cake/
Self nutrition data. (2013). Retrieved from nutritiondata.self.com/facts/vegetables-and-vegetable-products/2383/2