In the course of any Chefs day, somewhere in between saving the world from boring food and just making the world a better place in general ; we forget to eat. As ridiculous as it sounds ,it’s just how things go. Ever seen Superman, Batman, or Ironman eat? My point exactly… . A good friend of mine reminded me (without even knowing it) of some excellent tips to help you stay in the game while saving the earth from itself.
Tip #1 Grab yourself a smoothie. I know it sounds trendy, but smoothies are tasty, low fat, easy to make, cost effective, and you can blend up any combination under the sun. I like to start with a mild leafy green like spinach or kale. Add combinations like banana/ cashew/ hempseed/vanilla almond milk for post workouts. Or frozen strawberry/mango/chia seed/spinach ( don’t forget to add a liquid like orange juice or water to help things move when you’re blending your smoothie) for a mid day snack.Make it colorful, make it tasty. Either way it’s a win /win!
Tip#2 Grab yourself a salad. Salads 0are a quick way to get what you want and what you need all at once. You can choose to start your salad with a leafy green and add things like chickpeas, peppers, olives, tomatoes, leftover proteins (grilled chicken, tofurky, “fakin bacon”) or use that stale bread on your counter to create the best croutons your mouths ever met. If leafy greens aren’t your fancy, then consider using that leftover grilled veg, chicken and pasta to create something on the fly. Chop your veggies into bite sized pieces, toss in the pasta, some red wine vinaigrette , seasonings and you/re on your way to making your belly happy.
Here’s a few quick tasty recipes to try on your own. Enjoy in good health!
Chef Will Hall
Creamy Avocado & White Bean Wrap
White beans mashed with ripe avocado and blended with sharp Cheddar and onion makes an incredibly rich, flavorful filling for this wrap. The tangy, spicy slaw adds crunch. A pinch (or more) of ground chipotle pepper and an extra dash of cider vinegar can be used in place of the canned chipotles in adobo sauce. Serve with tortilla chips, salsa and Tecate beer.
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped canned chipotle chile in adobo sauce, (see Note)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups shredded red cabbage
- 1 medium carrot, shredded
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 15-ounce can white beans, rinsed
- 1 ripe avocado
- 1/2 cup shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
- 2 tablespoons minced red onion
- 4 8- to 10-inch whole-wheat wraps, or tortillas
- Whisk vinegar, oil, chipotle chile and salt in a medium bowl. Add cabbage, carrot and cilantro; toss to combine.
- Mash beans and avocado in another medium bowl with a potato masher or fork. Stir in cheese and onion.
- To assemble the wraps, spread about 1/2 cup of the bean-avocado mixture onto a wrap (or tortilla) and top with about 2/3 cup of the cabbage-carrot slaw. Roll up. Repeat with remaining ingredients. Cut the wraps in half to serve, if desired.
TIPS & NOTES
- Ingredient Note: Chipotle chiles in adobo sauce are smoked jalapeños packed in a flavorful sauce. Look for the small cans with the Mexican foods in large supermarkets. Once opened, they’ll keep at least 2 weeks in the refrigerator or 6 months in the freezer.
Per serving: 346 calories; 17 g fat (4 g sat, 9 g mono); 15 mg cholesterol; 44 g carbohydrates; 12 g protein;13 g fiber; 462 mg sodium; 491 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (60% daily value), Vitamin C (45% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
30 minutes or fewer
- 4 cups baby spinach leaves
- ½ cup plain soymilk
- 1 ¼ cups frozen blueberries
- ½ cup firm tofu cubes
- 2 Tbs. ground flaxseed
- 2 tsp. agave nectar
- ⅛ tsp. ground allspice (optional)
Purée spinach leaves with soymilk in blender. Add blueberries, tofu, flaxseed, agave nectar (if using), and allspice (if using); blend until smooth.
“Blueberry-Spinach Smoothie.” Vegetarian Times. The Vegetarian Times, n.d. Web. 11 June 2014. <http://www.vegetariantimes.com/recipe/blueberry-spinach-smoothie/>.
“Creamy Avocado & White Bean Wrap.” EatingWell. Eating Well, 1 July 2009. Web. 11 June 2014. <http://www.eatingwell.com/recipes/creamy_avocado_white_bean_wrap.html>.
Image* “Pepe Nero Bar & Diner Blog.” Pepe Nero Bar & Diner. N.p., 1 Jan. 2014. Web. 11 June 2014. <http://pepenero.bg/en/blog/>.
“Yoga Class Getting You Home Late? 4 Ideas For Quick, Healthy Dinners.” RSS. N.p., n.d. Web. 11 June 2014. <http://www.fitsugar.com/What-Eat-After-Yoga-27024774>.